CDT’s Criminal Justice Task Force participates in a statewide Campaign for Criminal and Economic Justice focusing on replacing the carceral state with programs that treat people as human beings no matter their transgressions. We also work to change unfair and ineffective laws, such as mandatory minimums for drug offenses.
The bill to eliminate RMV Collateral Sanctions was signed into law by the Governor on March 30, 2016!
CDT Testimony at the October 14 Statehouse Hearing on Solitary ConfinementRabbi Toba and Bonnie Teneriello gave testimony at the Oct 14, 2015, Judiciary Committee hearing on Solitary Confinement. Here are links to their remarks.
- Rabbi Toba Spitzer–Testimony on solitary confinement
- Bonnie Teneriello–Testimony on solitary confinement
GBIO Criminal Justice Legislative Lobbying Campaign
Over 500 calls to legislators were made during the GBIO Legislative Lobbying month (Oct 20 - Nov 20), far exceeding our goal. Dorshei Tzedek members contributed 23 calls to that total.
- One Luv Poem, by Sam Williams
- The Marshall Project
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander
- Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson
- A Prosecutor’s vision for a better justice system (TED Talk), by Adam Foss
- Bail reform gets liberal rap but can be bipartisan
- Hell is a very small place : voices from solitary confinement, edited by Jean Casella, et. al
- Understanding Mass Incarceration: A People’s Guide to the Key Civil Rights Struggle of Our Time, by James Kilgore
- Criminal Justice Policy Coalition – Calendar of Events
- “Baker, Walsh among officials pledging to work for social justice” (Boston Globe)
- Jobs NOT Jails current efforts (EPOCA)
- Jobs NOT Jails website
- Boston Globe article about the bill filings
- UU Criminal Justice Campaign
- “Koch Brothers fund Prison Reform efforts” (The Daily Beast)
- “Prison Guard Union Calls on Texas to Curtail Solitary Confinement on Death Row” (The Texas Observer)
- “EPOCA’s Campaign to End Collateral Sanctions at the RMV in the News”
- “Justice Reinvestment Act in the News”
- 2015 YK Minha Service-Solitary Confinement.mp3
The CDT Criminal Justice Task Force
|Rabbi Toba Spitzer--Testimony on solitary confinement||38.44 KB|
|Bonnie Teneriello--Testimony on solitary confinement||1.01 MB|
|2015 YK Minha Service-Solitary Confinement.mp3||31.2 MB|
|Solitary Documentary Flyer.pdf||420.35 KB|
|One Luv Poem - By Sam Williams||125.06 KB|