This reading list was used in an Understanding Race group meeting to discuss the Movement for Black Lives platform and the Jewish responses.
To prepare, participants read:
- The Invest-Divest section of the BLM platform (https://policy.m4bl.org/invest-divest), especially the part that pertains to Israel and BDS.
- The paper by Yotan Marom, “Toward the Next Jewish Rebellion: Facing Anti-Semitism and Assimilation in the Movement” (https://medium.com/@YotamMarom/toward-the-next-jewish-rebellion-bed5082c52fc#.qar9hivba).
Additional readings included:
- Other sections of the BLM platform to familiarize ourselves with the tenor of the work (https://policy.m4bl.org/platform).
- Any of the following articles recommended by Toba, Louise and Alan:
- How Studying the Talmud Helped me Understand Racism in America (The Forward)
- The Jewish Activist Behind the Black Lives Matter Platform (Haaretz)
- Stop Being so Arrogant, White Jews (The Forward)
- What it Meant to Attend the Jews of Color National Convening
- A Wounded Friend: A Rabbinic Response (Huff Post)
- Black Lives Matter Should Change “Genocide” Language (+972)
- JCRC Statement (JCRC)
- The Left and the Jews (Fathom)
- Is There Still a Jewish Question? (Tablet)
- T’ruah Statement on The Movement for Black Lives Platform(T’ruah)
- Black Churches in Missouri Condemn Black Lives Matter Over ‘Apartheid Israel’ Platform(Haaretz)
- J Street Blog: On the Movement for Black Lives (J Street)
- Pro-Israel Groups Smear the Movement for Black Lives for its Solidarity With Palestine (Alternet)